Search This Blog

Yummy Diet, Ham and Lentil Soup Recipe

                                 Ham and Lentil Soup


Now, when I went looking for a good ham and lentil soup, I found as many variations for it as there are coffee stains on my camisoles. So, I aggregated the most likely recipes into one SUPER RECIPE, and gave it a go.
The result was an enormous pot of soup that had both the savory-homey feeling of a winter day in front of a fire, and the healthy-light feeling of a workout at the gym down the street that I never visit anymore.
That’s my husband’s fault.
Anyway, I’ve included the recipe and calorie breakdown for you below. At some points, I use grams to indicate how much of an ingredient I used. If you don’t yet have a food scale, let me take this moment to plead with you to get one. Even if you aren’t on a diet, it’s useful for cooking. You can make that baguette PERFECT if you know just how much water and flour to add.
I wish I had pictures to show you how delectably this soup – it’s so hearty I almost want to call it a stew – turns out. And did I mention it’s remarkably filling? Well it is. And you can’t argue with a set of instructions that takes up less than a paragraph.
Ham and Lentil Soup
SERVES 3
1 1/4 cup Green Lentils
1 cup celery – chopped
1 cup carrots – chopped
1 medium yellow onion – chopped fine
3 cloves garlic [I, of course, used much more!]
32 ounces low sodium vegetable stock (if you’re short, feel free to use chicken stock)
8 ounces low sodium chicken stock (or vegetable, for that matter!)
210g ham (shank), diced
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
3 Tbsp tomato sauce (or a can of diced tomatoes)
In a 3.5 quart or larger crockpot, combine all ingredients. Stir together until seasoning and tomato sauce are well-distributed. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-12 hours. Discard the bay leaf before serving.
CALORIE BREAKDOWN
Per Serving
Lentils [190 calories]
Celery [5 calories]
Carrots [10 calories]
Vegetable Stock [30 calories]
Chicken Broth [4 calories]
Tomato Sauce [5 calories]
Ham (shank) [130 calories]
Yellow Onion [30 calories]
TOTAL CALORIES: 404 calories
That’s right. Only 404 calories. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 easy winter exercise tips for winter

10 easy winter exercise tips for winter It's easy to let fitness slide during winter; the lure of red wine, hearty comfort food and...